Friday, March 14, 2014

Career Plan

The field of dentistry captures my attention and specifically I would like to become an orthodontist. The realigning of teeth interests me because of the fact that I had braces on my teeth and it gave me more confidence and raised my self-esteem knowing that my teeth were close to perfect.

The reason why I want to pursue a career in this field is because I feel I can help those who want to make a change in the way their teeth look. After having mine taken off I was extremely amazed on how good braces actually worked. Although I may have been painful at times, the end result was totally worth it.

I believe in this career, I would be looking at a lot of pair of teeth along the way. I would have to familiarize myself with specific tools to use for specific tasks. Learn how to operate X-ray machines for when the patients need it. Be able to manage writing reports and notes to different doctors and ordering the equipment needed to run the facility.

Special skills and traits that are needed for this occupation are speaking and critical thinking. An orthodontist needs to be able to communicate with the patients and the adults of the patients. They need active at listening and treating the patients with care. Orthodontists need to be monitoring the room and making sure everything is flowing and checking up on patients. The assistances are there to work on the patient and do the hard work, the doctor comes around the room only to check the teeth and improvise what the assistant has done.

Ever since I have gotten my braces off Ive been very interested in the profession of dentistry, specifically an orthodontist. Im suited for this career because I enjoy helping people build up their self esteem and being able to smile with perfect teeth. Treating people with respect and kindness is what Im about. Im considerate about other and it will suit me well while on the job.

I have talked to my orthodontist recently about setting up a day where he will personally show me hand on hand what he does on a daily basis. This will show me what work he really does and how much time he has for each patient. It will also allow me to learn specific details and learn the proper way on how to handle day to day situation at work.

I found while researching this career that there are many opportunities looking for a job in California. The number of people interested for this career has been rising over the past few year. Many young students are going into the field of dentistry, me being apart of this movement.

No comments:

Post a Comment